Friday, October 12, 2018

Book Review: IT by Stephen King


Hey guys! Today I am bringing Y'all a non-spoiler book review for IT by Stephen King!
So without any more chatter let's get started.


From Goodreads:

To the children, the town was their whole world. To the adults, knowing better, Derry, Maine was just their home town: familiar, well-ordered, a good place to live. It was the children who saw – and felt – what made Derry so horribly different. In the storm drains, in the sewers, It lurked, taking on the shape of every nightmare, each person’s deepest dread. Sometimes It reached up, seizing, tearing, killing…

The adults, knowing better, knew nothing. Time passed and the children grew up, moved away. The horror of It was deep-buried, wrapped in forgetfulness. Until the grown-up children were called back, once more to confront It as It stirred and coiled in the sullen depths of their memories, reaching up again to make their past nightmares a terrible present reality.


Critique:

Spooky? Check!
Clowns? Yup!
Edge of your seat ride? uh huh!

When the reboot of Stephen King's book IT came out last summer I finally bit the bullet and picked the book up. 
My first thought was dang this is a long book! second thought was that I might not like it due to the length. HAH boy was I wrong!
From the moment I started reading this book till I hit the last page I was glued to the edge of my seat and now I have a problem with looking at storm drains plus there had been a rash of people leaving red balloons by said storm drains! Not to mention my deep fear of clowns!
Stephen King is a masterful writer who knows how to use just the right amount of spookiness to scare his reader but still leave enough intrigue to make them want to read more!
Bill, Eddie, Ben, Richie, Stan, Beverly, and Mike are all friends that have been affected by Mr Pennywise. I enjoyed each of their separate stories and I adore their close friendship with each other. 
They are all picked on by the town bully/jerk named Henry Bowers, but when they are together Henry can just go on down the road when the little group gets their courage and attacks Henry and his gang. 

I love the camaraderie between the friends and how they believe each other's stories of meeting Pennywise, even when he wasn't in clown form. They didn't ridicule each other, they watched out for each other the best they could. All while trying to solve the mystery and get rid of Pennywise.

I'm not going to spoil the rest of the storyline for y'all because I want you to read the book and see if you enjoy it the way I did and then maybe we'll have a long talk about it. but I will put in a trigger warning because one of the group does commit suicide before anything even gets started and another of the group gets killed before they kill Pennywise for good.. or is IT really dead? 
I honestly could see Mr. king writing a sequel to this book but somehow I doubt we will because at the very end of the book he says: "This book was begun in Bangor, Maine, on September 9th, 1981, and completed in Bangor, Maine, on December 28th, 1985." almost 5 years to write this amazing story!

So, do I recommend? oh yeah! 1000%! 
please leave a comment down below if you have any other spooky King books you think I should read and review!

Until Next Time,
           Lynn!

No comments:

Post a Comment