Thursday, December 6, 2018

Book Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


Hey guys! today I am bringing Y'all a non-spoiler review of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern! so without further ado let's get started!




From Goodreads:

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night. 

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands. 

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus performers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead. 



My Critique:

The Night Circus is a very immersive read with a beautiful writing style that pulls you in. However, I found myself getting confused by the many timeline changes this story had. one minute we were in the 17th/18th century and the next many years in the future.
The circus was a marvelous place and I feel that the author did a very good job describing it to me as I was able to easily picture it in my mind. 
Out of all of the wonderfully diverse characters, I'd have to say little Poppet was my absolute favorite with her brother a close second. 
That being said, I did find Isobel to be very annoying and a few times I wanted to smack her!

I will say now there are triggers in this book mainly around child abuse and death.

But, the author kept me hooked even with those triggers and that is why I am giving this book 4.5 out 5 stars.

I know I will probably end up re-reading this book if only to rejoin the circus!

Until next time my friends I shall bid you adieu and good reading!
                    Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment