Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Book Review: Daughter Of The Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller


Arrr ye mateys! Today I am bringing Y'all a Non-spoiler review of Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller! So without any further ado let us get started!


From Goodreads:

There will be plenty of time for me to beat him soundly once I’ve gotten what I came for.

Sent on a mission to retrieve an ancient hidden map—the key to a legendary treasure trove—seventeen-year-old pirate captain Alosa deliberately allows herself to be captured by her enemies, giving her the perfect opportunity to search their ship.

More than a match for the ruthless pirate crew, Alosa has only one thing standing between her and the map: her captor, the unexpectedly clever and unfairly attractive first mate, Riden. But not to worry, for Alosa has a few tricks up her sleeve, and no lone pirate can stop the Daughter of the Pirate King.


My Critique:

"It should not be this difficult to stay prisoner on a pirate ship. This is the second time I’ve had to stage my own capture. Ridiculous."

Meet Alosa, a 17-year-old captain of an all-female pirate ship and the daughter of a pirate king who is trying to steal two parts of a map so that he can find an island of treasure.

The front cover boasts how Alosa is "a female Jack Sparrow", and while I would like to agree with that statement the fact is that she is slightly sober and much more cunningly brilliant than he. This has a strong Pirates of the Caribbean feel as well. But it still had a more age appropriate YA feel to it. There was some violence. Because it is pirates after all but not the gore one generally expects when they see it is a pirate book.

The storyline is pretty fast-paced but not to the point where you think you are missing the main plot points. I loved the scenes between Alosa and Ridden and found the hate to love trope very cute!

Even though we got to see very little of Alosa's crew I really like them. A group of the mostly female badass pirates, how can you not love them!
When we start the book we know little apart from the fact that she is the daughter of the pirate king and getting to know more about her past, however little, was very interesting.

I look forward to learning more about these characters and how they move forward in this story of pirates and intrigue. I can't wait to start the next book.
 


All in all, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars!

Until next time my friends I shall bid you adieu!
                    Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment