Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Book Review: The Earth, My Butt and other Round things by Carolyn Mackler



Hey guys! I have a new review heading your way today! I hope y'all enjoy!


From Goodreads:

Fifteen-year-old Virginia feels like a plus-sized black sheep in her family, especially next to her perfect big brother Byron. Not to mention her best friend has moved, leaving Virginia to navigate an awkward relationship with a boy alone. He might like her now . . . but what if he ever looks under all her layers of clothes?

In order to survive, Virginia decides to follow a “Fat Girl Code of Conduct,” which works, until the unthinkable causes her family's façade to crumble. As her world spins out of orbit, she realizes that being true to herself might be the only way back. 

Told in a perfect blend of humor and heart, this acclaimed, Printz Honor winner resonates as much today as it did fifteen years ago, now featuring a new cover, author foreword, text updates, and other never-before-seen back matter.


My Critique:

First off if you haven't read this book there is a trigger warning for eating disorders and date rape so you are warned.



This is a book I wish I had read when I was a teen because I was the fat teen girl who hated her body, I hate how my body looked that clothes never fit and that no one understood me.
So, when I was reading this book it did take me back to that time and made me want to hug Virginia and tell her that it was going to be all right.  when the bad things started happening in Virginia's family she realized that they weren't perfect and that her brother did not need to be on the pedestal she had put him on.
she started branching out and realized maybe her body wasn't that bad after all that she could wear clothes she liked now what her mother thought she should wear I do have to say that my favorite part in the book was when Virginia and her friend were in Seattle  and they decided to get piercings, I also really liked when Virginia decided to dye her hair and a very bright and cheerful color.


I am super excited to read the second book in this duology.

All in all, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars, a must-read for any person who could use a good boost in confidence.

Please let me know what you thought about this book if you read it and if you plan on reading the second book too!

No comments:

Post a Comment